We had a wonderful time on our last Book Club meeting for the year. It was a sweet time of fellowship and sharing our thoughts on the book "Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish" by Sue Bender. Almost everyone loved the book and the simple life of the Amish. We found it interesting how much the Amish affected Sue including the rearrangement of her kitchen to what ended up being just like an Amish kitchen--plain and simple!!!
Several of us have had exposure to the Amish in one way or another -- either by living near a family, visiting the area or having relatives that were Mennonites -- a more Religious led colony. My mother was Mennonite and her distant relatives came over on ships (we have copies of the ships logs) and lived in colonies in South Dakota.
Several of us long for the simple life. We were intrigued by the fact that some Amish where drab colors (browns, grays) on the outside, but brightly colored petticoats. I personally found that hilarious.
Thank you, JoAnn Steinmetz, for recommending the book and leading the discussion.
1 comment:
Once again, I wish I'd been with you all for the discussion and fellowship!
I read 'Plain and Simple' first about 15 years ago and found it very encouraging. Then, when I saw it a a book club 'selection', I reread it. It was amazingly interesting once again. So many good thoughts for living a less cluttered life!
Of course, I am one of those people who love to reread good books.....but this one was even more meaningful for me this time through.
Sending love to you all,
Juanita
Post a Comment